Friday, June 10, 2011

Worklist….AKA….Chore Chart

My husband and I have been trying several “chore charts.” We finally found one that seems to be working and is quite a hit with the boys! The ideas are taken from my favourite homeschool blogger Erica at: www.confessionsofahomeschooler.blogspot.com
Each one of our boys have one of these. Each night when they are in bed I change out the chores for the following day. It is a little like Christmas when they wake up. They like to see what they have to do that day. (I sure hope this excitement lasts a while!!)
IMG_6218



IMG_6217

One pocket is discipline cards. We find that for our oldest, this is quite an effective way of discipline. In our family first time obedience is quite important. Should our children disobey we decide if we take a ticket away, give them time out, or depending on the severity, give them a discipline card.
IMG_6215

The ticket system is a very  motivating system!! It is very similar to the real world working environment. You work hard and get rewarded. You will notice that the kids have 20 tickets that they can possibly earn for their homework. Yes it is true that they only have 10 workboxes to complete each day. My husband and I decided that we didn’t want our children growing up learning that they only get rewarded for doing their work, homework, whatever it may be and gettingn it done perfectly. We wanted them to know that getting 100% is NOT  the goal. So, for each homework box they complete they can earn 2 tickets. One ticket is finishing the homework, however the other ticket is for their focus, their attention, their work ethic and attitude. If all that is in check, they get a ticket. Now our children are learning that the process is also important!! I remember so many times that I would come home from school crying because I did not get an “a” or 100%. My dad would always say to me “Did you try your hardest.” I would respond with “yes.” He would continue to say, “then you should be extrmely proud of yourself.” That has stuck with me for years and I want my childrne to know that it is the process that matters and to be proud of a job well done, especially if you put your all into it!!
IMG_6216


Here is just a quick list of what the kids can exchange their tickets for. This is quite the motivator!! In fact as I write this post, my oldest just asked me if he could do extra work just so he could get a couple more tickets in order to play video games!!!
Just remember!!!! Once you find something that works….stick with it!! Good luck!!!
IMG_6214IMG_6220



     

No comments:

Post a Comment