Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Our Curriculum for 2011-2012

We are so excited!! We begin another fun year of homeschooling!! I thought I would share what our curriculum will look like this year!
BIBLE
We will be using Grapevine. We will be starting the Beginning Old Testament. The lessons look fun as the children get to draw a picture as you read the bible story. My boys both love to colour and draw. This just helps the creativity as well!
image
Can be found at: www.grapevinestudies.com

My oldest will be registered in grade one this year. He is working on some grade two work. Since this is the first year we can actually register for homeschooling we thought we would start out in grade one.

MATH
Saxon is our favourite. We have been using this for a couple years now. It is hands on and engages the children in many ways. They use everyday examples of Math in order to make the lessons fun!
image
Can be found at saxonpublishers.hmhco.com
To supplement math we will also be using Sylvan and Math Ahead workbooks.

image

image

LANGUAGE ARTS
We have been using Sing Spell Read and Write for a year now and will continue to work through this.This is definitely an expensive curriculum, however just simply amazing! If you like songs and rhymes and colorful worksheets you will love this!
image

SPELLING
I am excited to try out All About Spelling this year! This looks absolutley incredible!!
image

Reading and Reading Comprehension and Responding ot Literature
This did indeed take me a while to decide. I found a great website that will facilitate our learning in this area. In the next couple months we will be working on:
1. Rainbows, colours, Noah’s Arc
2. Caps for Sale, counting and numbers
3. The five senses
4. Community Workers
5. Seasons and Weather
6. Plants
7. Animals
For each of these topics, we will be learning many Chinese words. The websites that have helped me to create our sections for these topics are:
delightfullearning.blogspot.com
homeschoolcreations.blogspot.com
When we complete these topics I will indeed share with you where we found each lesson plan etc.

ART:
image
Can be found at www.amazon.ca
SPORTS
Both boys will be taking swimming. My oldest is involved in Kung Fu and my youngest will be taking skating lessons this semester.

TYPING
This is my husbands area….I will let you know what program he has chosen! Thanks honey!!
SOCIAL STUDIES
We will be using an excellent curriculum. This curriculum is absolutely incredible and we have already learned about four countries. My boys really enjoy this!
image

SCIENCE
This in included in our Social Studies curriculum as well as our Language arts curriculum. Stay tuned for more blog posts about this!
LANGUAGE
As a family we will be learning Mandarin this year! We have incredible tutors as my inlaws speak Mandarin!! I did find a great curriculum for the kids! I will also be making file folder review cards. My husband and I will be usng Rosetta Stone. My boys are also enrolled in Mandarin school which is every Saturdays for three hours!

image 
Can be found at: www.rosetta stone.com

image
Can be found at: www.betterchinese.com
PHONICS
My little guy will be using letter of the week to focus on the letters! He does know all his letters, however we will work on what each letter sounds like! We have used this curriculum with my oldest and just loved it!!! Thank you Erica for all your hard work!!!

image 

Let me know what curriculum you will be using!! Enjoy the school year!!




No comments:

Post a Comment