Monday, December 12, 2011

T is for Tutu

What little girl doesn’t love a tutu?! Since I don’t have any little girls, I thought I would find some little girls and make them a tutu for Christmas! These were so much fun to make! They are definitely time consuming. The tutu’s I made are very full of tulle and took me about 2.5 hours to make each one.

Here are the instructions to making your very own. I did come across some excellent you-Tube videos of them and the links are below.


IMG_8012

IMG_7910
Things you will need:
1. Thick ribbon. (I used 1.5-2 inch wide ribbon) I did find that using the softer ribbon was easier to work with, however did have the same results.)
2. Tulle. I bought rolls of tulle that was 6 inches wide. I took a knife and cut each in half with a sharp knife making sure each side was 3 inches wide. Yes, even cut the cardboard rolls in half. I have shown in the picture 2 rolls, however I did end up using 3-4 rolls for each tutu. I like mine full!
3. Scissors, tape measure.
4. Optional: I found these beautiful butterflies at Michaels craft store. They had little clips on the back. I removed them and hot glued the butterflies onto the tutu at the end.
IMG_7909
Steps
1. Measure the girls waist. The girl I was making it for has a waist of 20 inches. I added 20 inches on each side in order to tie the tutu. That means my ribbon was 60 inches long. I cut the ends at an angle for a more feminine look.
IMG_7917
2. Tie a knot at 20 inches in and another knot 20 inches in. This is to prevent any slipping of the tulle. I also like that when the girl grows, you can always make the tutu larger. It can grow with her!
IMG_7919
3.  I cut my 3 inch wide tulle 24 inches long. That way when I fold it in half in measures 12 inches long just the perfect length for a little girl! Take your first piece and make a loop.
IMG_7920
4. I do apologize for the quality of the pictures, but you get the idea!
Next take the loop and put it behind the ribbon as shown.
IMG_7921
5.  Loop to end of the piece of tulle through the loop.
IMG_7922
6. Pull to piece of tulle to tighten.
IMG_7923

7. Tighten the tulle.
IMG_7924
8. Slide the piece of tulle over to the knot.

IMG_7925
9. Be sure to choose a pattern. For the pink tutu I used 4 white and then 2 pink. For the blue/green/white I attached 5 pieces of white, one blue, one green, one blue and then 5 pieces of white again. You can decide how full you want the tutu. Just slide the pieces to your liking. I did see a couple tutu tutorials and they added ribbon pieces onto the tutu. I LOVED the butterflies and couldn't resist!
Cost
I found that canadian prices of tulle is pretty high compared to purchasing the tulle on e-Bay or in the united States.
1. Each roll of tulle is $5.00. I did use four rolls.
2. Spool of Ribbon: $3.00
3. Butterfly accessories: $6.00
4. Time: 2.5 hours
Now all I need is a little girl of my own!! I cannot wait to see the look of these girls’ faces on Christmas morning!!
Enjoy!!
IMG_7904

   
Here are the tutorials below. They are excellent!!

2 comments:

  1. Corwyn wanted a tutu so I made him one like this a couple of months ago. He loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avital, that is awesome! They are so fun to make! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete